Sunday 26 May 2013

Deliciously simple brothy seafood soup

I was at the market today and as I walked past the fish monger I was drawn to the best looking marinara mix. Without thinking how I was going to use it I bought myself some for my evening meal. Back home I started to make an old favourite of mine - brothy seafood soup.

As enjoyed my dinner I realised I had to share this simple yet indulgent treat.

Ingredients for one


Vietnamese Mint
150g - 200g good quality marinara mix
3 cups water
Stock powder to taste (I prefer to use Massel brand)
1/2 carrot chopped
1/3 zucchini chopped
3 large mushrooms sliced
1 small stick of celery sliced
2 asparagus spears chopped
3 small broccoli heads
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp lime juice
approx 8 Vietnamese mint leaves finely chopped

Putting it together 

  • Place water, stock powder, carrot and celery into a pot and heat. 
  • When water is hot add the mushrooms and zucchini
  • After a while add the fish sauce and lime juice
  • Cover and let simmer for a minute or two
  • Once the vegetables are looking almost cooked add the marinara mix and asparagus
  • When you see that the marinara mix is almost cooked add in the broccoli and the Vietnamese mint leaves
  • Once the broccoli is cooked (but still crisp) turn off the heat and serve it up.

Result

I had forgotten how much I loved this simple soup. It is delicious and nutritious. The key really is having a good marinara mix and being able to gauge when it is cooked to avoid over doing it. The Vietnamese mint is the extra something special that just makes the soup complete.

Verdict

It's a winner. It's colourful, tastey, nutrious and super easy. What more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment